October 11, 2023
This KNOCA Learning Call unpacked the motivation behind three of the UK’s largest charities commissioning a People’s Assembly and the wider National Conversation that fed into the Assembly.
We explored the blended nature of the Assembly – two weekends in person at the start and finish with two weekends online beforehand. And we explored the responses to the Plan and Assembly from the three commissioners and a number of other civil society and public bodies.
Watch other videos of KNOCA events and subscribe to our YouTube channel to stay updated!
The central theme running through the Learning Call was the creative tension between deliberative processes and civil society campaigning.
We were joined by:
- Helen Meech, previously Head of Movement Building at RSPB (now Executive Director of the Climate Coalition) who originally came up with the idea
- Kathryn Machin, Head of Community Engagement Campaigns at WWF-UK and co-commissioner of the People’s Assembly
- Sarah Castell, CEO of Involve who designed and delivered the Assembly
- Irenie Ekkeshis, Co-Founder and Director, New Citizenship Project who influenced the approach to the process
- Rebecca Lester, an assembly member.